Do you Require a 2 way radio License for walkie talkies in the UK?

If you are planning on getting a two way radio infrastructure for commercial reasons anywhere in the UK, you’ll need a radio broadcast licence. In accordance with Ofcom’s official site,


“If you use a radio system for your business then you will need a licence from Ofcom. Business radio users range from taxi companies and factories, to hospitals, care homes, industrial sites and transport operators. To begin the licensing process – and learn more about the specific licence you’ll need – (it then diverts you to a special application link)”.


The citation underneath is from Icom They provide a inclusive page you should possibly take a look at before buying your system. Their advice as is follows:


“You will need a radio licence to operate your two way business radios. This is issued by the Government Agency, Ofcom. Licensed frequencies are allocated on a case-by-case basis. You can get your dealer to program them into your radio”.


In addition they advise the client to,


“Get your local dealer to help with the licence application, they will advise on the best way to apply to get the channel you need”.

And in addition pronounce that,


“If you wish to use your radios all over the UK and are not based in one fixed location, you can apply for a Business Radio Simple UK licence which is £75, renewable every 5 years”.


On the subject of price, it does appear that I can not inform you just how much it’s likely to cost, as pricing is an individual thing also it is dependent upon your needs. When asked just how much a licence will cost, Icom UK states,


“OK, the big question…unfortunately that is the one question we cannot answer, but your local Icom business radio dealer can. Often you will find that the radios you actually need are much more affordable than some you might have first looked at. Icom have a very comprehensive range at all price levels while still having the same quality and you could consider spreading the immediate cost by leasing rather than outright purchase”.


Icom then supply a website to finding a UK dealer, which I will add to the answer HERE Essentially, any business 2 way radio use will require a licence, so it is pretty essential that you just learn as much as you can about them (and what they enable you to do).


Do not be discouraged, however, gaining license to broadcast is not as difficult as you might think and the prices are likely to be more manageable than you are probably dreading they’ll be. Whatever you think of it, you will have to pay the fee, that is just the way it is. In America, the FCC governs the licensing. Here within the UK, broadcast licensing is maintained and controlled by Ofcom (as stated earlier).


As outlined by Walkie-Talkie, there is a reason beyond naked profiteering:

“Most countries have some government agency in charge of who can use what radio frequencies. This is necessary to ensure that different organizations can use radio communications effectively without interfering with each other”.


So do a little research, fill out a couple of forms, or pass it onto these guys and let tem do all the work.